Benchmark 3: P-16 Leadership Initiatives
The school district and institution(s) of higher education (IHE) partners shall develop and maintain a leadership team that meets regularly (e.g., quarterly) to address issues of design, implementation, ongoing implementation, and sustainability. Membership should include the Early College High School leader and individuals with decision-making authority from the district(s) and IHE(s).
All ECHSs must implement and meet the following requirements:
The ECHS shall establish a leadership team that includes high-level personnel with decision-making authority who meet regularly and report to each organization. Regularly scheduled meetings must address the following topics:
- Identify members and the role each member will play in the design, governance, operations, accountability, curriculum development, professional development, outreach, sustainability, and continuous monitoring and improvement of the ECHS
- Annually review the MOU for necessary revisions
- Assume shared responsibility (between the school district and the IHE) for meeting annual outcomes-based measures and providing annual reports to their district and IHE boards, as well as to the public.
- Monitor progress on meeting the Blueprint, including reviewing data to ensure the ECHS is on-track to meet outcomes-based measures
- Guide mid-course corrections as needed
The leadership team shall include and meet regularlyâ€”in person and/or virtuallyâ€”with the leaders from the district and IHE who have decision-making authority:
District leaders (may include):
- Assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction, or equivalent position
- ECHS principal or director
- CTE Director (if applicable to the ECHS model)
- Department Chairs
- School counselors
- School-business partners IHE leaders (may include):
- College or university president
- Department Chairs for core academic disciplines
- ECHS liaison
- Sustainability structures shall be identified and implemented to address and minimize the challenges of staff turnover and potential fluctuations in funding.
Required Activities and Products
- All products shall be published on the ECHSâ€™s website and be made available to TEA upon request.
- All products shall be maintained in accordance with the local records retention policy.
- ECHS/IHE leadership meeting agendas and minutes
- School board and board of regentsâ€™ presentations
- Description of each member and role in committee